Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What are you reading this summer?

It is summertime, which mean there is plenty of time to find a shady tree and find a good read! I love the summer because it means I can finally get to the long list of books I have been dying to read all year long. There is nothing better than soaking in the sun and a good book. I rarely read anything that is instructional or educational because I have spent the whole school year reading textbooks. This time of year is when I have the time read whatever I want to read. There are five categories that I always read to get my summer fulfillment.   

1). Make me want to change the world book 

Last summer I read: "Middle of Everywhere" by Mary Pipher which is about stories about refugees and their struggles and entertaining challenges to adapting to the American culture. 
This summer I hope to read: "The Power of Words" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, which is about the cause and effect of media on different genocides in the 1900s. 

2). A non stop page turner, stay up until the dead of night and read in 3 days book 

Last summer I read: "The Passage" by Justin Cronin, which is a story about the United States in a vampire apocalypse. 
This summer I hope to read: "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin which is the sequel to the "The Passage". 

3) A classic   

Last summer I read: "La Casa de los Espirtus" by Isabel Allende, which is a famous story placed in the history of Chile. 
This summer I hope to read: "El Llano en Llamas" by Juan Rulfo which is a classic novel of Mexico during the Mexican revolution. 

4). A quick read 

Last summer I read: "The Five People you Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom, which is a "feel good" book about life and choices. 
This summer I hope to read: "Mr. Churchill's Secretary" by Susan MacNeal, which is a young adult book about a woman living in England during WWII. 

5). A MSP book 

Last summer I read: "The Deliberation" by Donna Brown, which is an exciting love story from the Christian perspective. 
This summer I hope to read: "Soul Hunter" by Blair Bohlan, which I can't wait to read! 

I am so excited to get my reading on this summer!  


What are some books that you are excited to read this summer?

Breanna Richardson. 
Author of "Destitution"

2 comments:

  1. When I find an author I like, I devour their books. Right now I'm on to Michael Connelly's series with the detective Harry Bosch. Last year it was Lee Child's Jack Reacher. But I do intersperse them with some other reads like historicals, a romance or two, a non-fiction here and there and I like to check out the NYC bestsellers (although sometimes I wonder what makes the bestseller besides a good publicist or marketing director).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than all the MSP books I read, I was sent an interesting book that was referred to me by a Martin Sisters Publishing author. The book, "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" was written all in correspondence -- faxes, emails, letters, voice mails. As a writer I wondered how the author, Maria Semple, pulled this off and wondered if I could ever do it myself. I love to read books that are out of the ordinary -- like this one.
    Still don't know if I could ever do it but it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete